safety certified professional ski guides
mellow ski terrain big snow, low stress
luxury ski lodges relax & recover
POWDER INTRO HELI-SKIING TRIPS
Welcome to our Powder Intro Heli-Skiing Program! For strong intermediate to advanced skiers or snowboarders who dream of Heli-Skiing but have never experienced true backcountry conditions, this trip is for you.
Heli-Skiing First Timers
You’re thirsty for magnificent backcountry powder, but not sure you can ski it? That’s ok, we’ll hit low-stress terrain where you can hone your intermediate/advanced skiing or riding skills on your own terms.
Perfect Skiing Terrain
Beat all your best powder days (ever!) at any ski resort. No crazy steeps or too-tight trees, but it's a great introduction to powder skiing. Get a feel for out-of-bounds skiing on friendly terrain without taming the ecstasy of Heli-Skiing in the middle of nowhere.
Book Your Dream Trip
Experience powder skiing for your first time with just 10 guests, led by two professional ski guides. We love to introduce skiing in mountain wilderness to strong intermediate/advanced skiers or boarders. Three million acres is too much to keep all to ourselves.
Powder Intro (Women Only)
Boost your confidence skiing alongside women who go at your pace. Grab some of your friends and let us give you the perfect, sensational introduction to powder. Share a life-altering, unforgettable experience. It’s only for women, and trips fill fast.
Small Group Powder Intro
Combining two incredible experiences into one ultimate trip for first-time Heli-Skiers and snowboarders. Ideal for strong intermediate/advanced skiers and riders looking to get a taste of backcountry conditions at a moderate-relaxed pace. This is a rare opportunity, don’t miss your chance.
frequently asked questions
- Is Powder Intro ski school? Is instruction included?
Powder Intro is not ski school, but there is some instruction included for skiing/riding in deep powder.
- How experienced of a skier/rider do I need to be for Powder Intro?
To go on a Powder Intro trip, you need to be a strong intermediate skier/rider. Not sure if that’s you? Give us a call at 1-800-661-0252 and we’ll help find the right trip for you.
- How fit do I need to be to Heli-Ski?
A typical CMH Heli-Skiing Guest is:
- a strong intermediate to advanced skier/rider
- able to ski/ride in control on most terrain and willing to try black diamond runs
- comfortable in a variety of snow conditions
- fit enough to ski/ride for consecutive days
- someone who has skied/ridden actively at mountain resorts for a few seasons
- My partner/family member is already a strong skier/rider; can they still ski with me?
Our Powder Intro trips are meant for newcomers to deep snow skiers/riders, and for those who would like to ski with a maximum of 10 guests and 2 guides. If your family members are strong powder skiers they can join you, but they’ll be skiing at a slower pace. We recommend that the stronger skier joins the Signature program so you can focus on the instruction.
- Can we ski as a family? What is the minimum age for children?
Absolutely - if you’re all booked on the Powder Intro trip, you can ski together! The minimum age for Powder Intro trips is 14 years of age, and all children must ski with one of their parents/guardians and 2 guides.
- What does a typical day look like - do I have to ski all day? How many runs will I get in a day? How much vertical will I ski?
The day begins with an optional morning warm up class, which we highly recommend you attend. After this, breakfast is served. Next you will check the daily group list and be ready for the appropriate departure time. You will then head out for an exhilarating day of powder skiing, but opportunities do come up to come back from skiing early and relax at the lodge. Please speak with your guide if you start to get tired. Otherwise, return time to the lodge at the end of the day will vary depending on weather and time of year.
How many runs and how much vertical you ski each day depends on weather and safety conditions as well as the pace of the ski groups. Your Heli-Skiing trip comes with a vertical guarantee based on the length of the trip. Visit our Vertical - What’s Included, Guaranteed & Refunded page to see the vertical guarantee for our Powder Intro trips.
- What's included in my trip? What should I pack?
All of our Heli-Skiing trips include accommodation at your chosen CMH lodge, food and non-premium non-alcoholic beverages while at the lodge, certified guides and helicopter pilots, safety training and the use of specially designed Heli-Skis. Our What’s Included page will give you full details on everything that is included.
For our Powder Intro trips, we would recommend you pack the following:
- Ski or snowboard boots (mandatory)
- Snowboard, if required (NOTE: We do have some snowboards available to rent. Visit our What’s Included page to learn more
- Snow pants and warm coat
- Hard shell or one-piece suit
- Goggles/mitts or gloves
- Wool hat or toque
- Multi-layer clothing for skiing
- 3-4 pairs of comfortable, warm socks
- Light workout clothes for morning stretch class
- Bathing suit for hot tub or sauna
- Indoor shoes or slippers
- Casual clothing for in the lodge
- Optional items: alarm clock, camera, binoculars, collapsible poles (for snowboarders), spare snowboard parts (as listed in the Snowboard Gear form you will receive when you book)
While we recommend helmets be worn on all Heli-Skiing trips, helmets are only mandatory for Steep Shots & Pillow Drops, and Steep Camp.
- How many guides per group are there on the Powder Intro Trips?
The Powder Intro program will always have 10 guests and two guides in the program; one to lead the group and provide instruction and another at the back of the group to assist guests where needed.
- Do I have to jump out of a helicopter?
Jumping out of a helicopter is not only dangerous, but it is not allowed. After the helicopter lands, your guide will get out of the front seat, open the latch on the door, and everyone will exit the helicopter one at a time to make sure your guides and all guests stay safe.